I was excited and honored when the Partnership for a Healthier America (PHA) contacted me about doing a guest post for Skinny Mom after reading my post about Frugal Fitness Finds! The PHA is devoted to working with the private sector to ensure the health of our nation’s youth by solving the childhood obesity crisis. Founded in 2010 in conjunction with – but independent from – Let’s Move!, PHA is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that is led by some of the nation’s most respected health and childhood obesity advocates, including the support of their honorary chair First Lady Michelle Obama.
The holidays are almost here and that means it’s time to think about gifts for the little ones in your life. If you’re like me, you’d probably rather make healthy holiday snacks than fight the crowds at the mall—especially the week before Christmas! This year, I was inspired by my childhood favorites and devised a plan to find fun, active gifts for my nieces and nephews. With a little help from the office, of course.
At the Partnership for a Healthier America (PHA), we know it’s important for adults and kids alike to stay active throughout the food-filled holidays, and fun gifts can help set the foundation for a healthier year for everyone. In conjunction with the launch of our Play Streets program, we compiled a list of 10 fun and inexpensive gift ideas —all for under $10! Your kids will love taking these items to the playground … and, let’s be honest, you’ll love teaching them how to hula hoop or play kickball.
Some of these gifts are great for indoor fun when it’s cold out, and others are portable so you can take them to a playground or Play Street near you. Never heard of Play Streets? It’s a program that PHA is launching in 10 U.S. cities to lead the fight against childhood obesity. Together with support from PHA and Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association (BCBSA), these cities will hold at least 40 innovative events over the next year, all geared toward getting kids and communities out and active in support of PHA’s goal – to end the childhood obesity epidemic.
You’ve probably heard that approximately 12.5 million U.S. youth are obese and 11 million more are overweight. It’s going to take work from all of us to ensure our kids live healthier lives—keeping kids active is just one way parents can help make a difference. Check out the full list of gifts under $10 on our Pinterest page!
10 Gift Ideas Under $10 That Get Us Moving:
1. Make hula hooping a habit with this nostalgic gift—you can throw it, roll it or twirl it! (Amazon, $6.95)
2. Bubbles AND chalk? Sounds like a good match! Who’s up for some hopscotch? (ToysRUs, $9.99)
3. Catch it if you can with this Sizzlin’ Cool Sling, Shoot and Catch toy. (ToysRUs, $7.99)
4. Kick to the sky and beyond with this space-themed kickball. (Amazon, $8.58)
5. Release all that energy with The Tail Ball Checker Bat Game. (ToysRUs, $9.98)
6. Double Dutch your way to healthy with this inexpensive jump rope! (Amazon, $8.84)
7. Who’s up for a fun game of horseshoes? (Amazon, $7.99)
8. Go long! Grab a friend and show off your skills with this Ultra Star Sport Disc. (Amazon, $9.19)
9. Batter up! Knock the ball out of the park with this wiffle ball and bat set. (Amazon, $7.96)
10. How high can you fly with this Angry Birds Kite? (ToysRUs, $9.99)