As the winter months fade and Spring is trying to show it’s true colors, I am looking for warm food but not heavy food. So here is a great recipe that uses chicken. This recipe is derived from Puerto Rico.
- 4 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can of diced stewed tomato
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1 red pepper , diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 1/2 cup of green olives stuffed with pimentos, chopped
- 2 minced cloves of garlic
- 2 Tabls. minced fressh cilantro
- 2 Tabls. capers
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tabls. white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. paprike
- 3 lbs of bone in chicken (with skin removed) or chicken breast
- 1/2 cup dry long-drain white rice
- Combine all ingredients except rice and slow cook in crock pot on low heat 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Stir in rice.
- Cover and cook until rice is tender, on low heat for 20-30 minutes.
Per Serving: 363 cal, 15g fat, 36g protein,118mg chol, 19g carbs.
Photo Credit: http://www.delish.com