Enjoy our healthy twist on this tangy and delicious dessert, easy lemon bars. These yummy bars are perfect for cook-outs, picnics, or afternoon lunches!
Skinny Mom Fact: High in vitamin C, lemons prevent scurvy, a disease that causes bleeding gums, loose teeth and aching joints.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yields: 24 bars
Serving Size: 1bar
- • 1 1/3 cups all-purpose whole- wheat flour
- • 5 tbsp packed Splenda® brown sugar
- • 8 tbsp unsalted butter, cold, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- • 3 egg whites
- • 1 egg
- • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, divided
- • 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- • 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2. To make crust, mix whole-wheat flour and Splenda® brown sugar using a food processor until fully mixed. Toss butter into flour mixture and pulse to combine using short bursts of power until butter is cut into tiny pea-sized pieces and dough appears lumpy.
- 3. Sprinkle crust mixture onto an ungreased 13 X 9 X 2-inch baking pan as evenly as possible; press down with a spatula to create a packed surface.
- 4. Place crust in middle of oven and bake until golden, about 20 minutes.
- 5. While crust is baking, to make lemon topping, beat egg and egg whites in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until well blended.
- 6. Add vanilla extract and 3/4 cup of powdered sugar; mix well.
- 7. Add lemon juice and remaining powdered sugar; mix until powdered sugar is completely dissolved and then add zest.
- 8. As soon as crust is finished, remove from oven and reduce oven temperature to 300°F.
- 9. Immediately pour lemon mixture over hot crust.
- 10. Bake completely, about 30 minutes; cool, and cut into 24 bars.
Nutrition Info and Tips
Per Serving (1 bar)
Copyright 2013 SkinnyMom.com