These are great after school snacks that you can make a large batch to last for awhile. Since there is a technique to these, that is why the sugar has stayed in the recipe. I have yet to try them with any of the sweeteners.
Homemade Fruit Roll Ups – Great After School Snack
- 1 1/4 pounds of chopped fruit ( see suggestions below)
- Apples: 3 large Fuji, Gala or Granny Smith apples- peeled and chopped
- Raspberry: 5 cups
- Grapes: 3 1/2 cups of Concord grapes
- Banana: 5 medium, peeled
- Strawberry: 4 cups, chopped and hulled
- Mango: 2 large, peeled and chopped.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tabls. of Lemon juice
- wax paper
- baking sheet with a rim
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees.
- Combine the fruit , lemon juice and sugar in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Transfer the pureed fruit to a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer on medium heat.
- Reduce to low heat and cook, occasionally stirring until most of the liquid evaporates and the mix is very thick. This may take 35-40 mins.
- Line a 12 x 17 inch baking sheet with rims with nonstick foil or a silicone mat. Use a spatula to spread the mix on the foil in to a thin layer.
- Bake until barely sticky.... about 3 hrs.
- Let baking sheet almost cool completely and peel off of the foil. The side that was down will be moist. Lay the moist side up and on baking sheet and return to oven for about 20 mins or until dry.
- Lay the smoother side down on a sheet of wax paper and use kitchen scissors/shears to cut it into strips on the paper.
- roll the strips and store in a zip lock bag
Copyright 2013 SkinnyMom.com