I find myself using recipes that call for shredded chicken at least 1-2 times each week. For that reason I always cook up a large batch of shredded chicken in my slow-cooker every Sunday and then store it in the refrigerator or freezer to use at a later date. Doing this will save you time but will also make last-minute dinners a breeze as you already have the cooked poultry on hand. It is always much easier to eat and cook healthy when you plan ahead.
- 5 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 14 ounce container reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Place chicken in the bottom of slow cooker. Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Pour chicken broth over chicken breasts to cover.
- Cover with lid and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours or on high heat for 3-4 hours.
- Shred chicken using a fork (it should fall apart easily).
- To keep in freezer or refrigerator, store shredded chicken with broth in freezer bags, making sure to get as much air out as possible before sealing.
Nutrition Info Per Serving: Calories: 131, Fat: 1.6g, Carbohydrates: .2g, Fiber: 0g, Sugars: .2g, Protein: 27g