Skinny Green Bean and Potato Casserole
Green bean casseroles are a staple in most homes, especially around the holidays, but the heavy cream of mushroom soup and french fried onions make this favorite a gut-buster! To keep the tradition alive while keeping our waistlines in mind, try my skinnier version. My Green Bean and Potato Casserole cuts calories with some tasty Skinny Swaps, like using Kashi® whole grain flake cereal instead of french fried onions. To add some extra flavor, I used Old Bay seasoning. If you do not like the flavor of Old Bay, you could leave it out of the recipe. Also, while I used canned green beans because it’s what I had on hand, feel free to use fresh. Enjoy!
Green Bean and Potato Casserole
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Yield: 8 servings
Serving size: 1 cup
- 3 -14.5 oz cans reduced-sodium cut green beans
- 5-6 medium red potatoes, chopped into cubes
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 - 10.75 oz can fat-free cream of mushroom soup
- 1 Tbsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat mild cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Kashi® 7 Whole Grain Flakes Cereal, crushed to a breadcrumb consistency
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Open green beans, drain and rinse. Set aside.
- Wash and cut potatoes into cubes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix fat-free cream of mushroom soup, Old Bay seasoning, pepper, garlic powder and egg whites.
- Add in chopped onion, green beans and potatoes to mixture. Toss well, making sure all of the vegetables are covered.
- Transfer vegetables into a 9x13 inch casserole dish.
- While casserole is baking, use a food processor to crush Kashi cereal to a breadcrumb consistency.
- In a small bowl, add cheddar cheese, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add Kashi cereal to dry ingredients and mix well.
- After casserole has baked for 40 minutes, cover the top of the casserole with Kashi and cheese mixture. Bake an additional 10-20 minutes until potatoes are soft.
Nutrition Info and Tips
Per Serving (1 cup):
Vitamin A: 7%
Vitamin C: 45%
WWP+: 4 points
Copyright 2013 SkinnyMom.com