Nothing says Summer better than this delicious and sweet tasting recipe for Skinny Tropical Cupcakes. This cupcake recipe is perfect for a weekend get-together or a family barbecue. I really wanted to bring out the tropical flavor in these cupcakes and make them on the lighter side, so I swapped out the oil for a container of Dannon Light Toasted Coconut Yogurt and used dried tropical fruit in the cake mix. I used the Archer Farms brand of dried tropical fruit and you can pick up at Target. The cupcakes are delicious right out of the oven but if you are looking to frost the cupcakes, I came up with an easy recipe for Skinny Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting. I served these cupcakes at a get-together over the weekend and they were a huge hit!
- Skinny Tropical Cupcakes
- • 1 white cake mix, dry mix only
- • 1 6 ounce container Dannon Light Toasted Coconut Vanilla Yogurt
- • 1 cup Pure Coconut Milk (I used the Silk brand)
- • 4 egg whites
- • 1/3 cup dried tropical fruit mix (I used Archer Farms brand from Target)
- • 2 tsp coconut extract
- Skinny Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
- • 1 8 ounce package 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- • 1 cup powdered sugar
- • 1 tsp coconut extract
- • 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- • 2 tsp Pure Coconut Milk (Silk brand)
- Optional Topping: 24 tropical dried fruit pieces
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. Line two muffing pans with paper liners or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- 3. Using a food processor, pulse dried tropical fruit for 20-30 seconds to break up into smaller pieces.
- 4. In a large bowl, mix cake mix, egg whites, yogurt, Pure Coconut Milk, and coconut extract for 2-3 minutes until well mixed.
- 5. Stir in dried tropical fruit mix into cake mixture.
- 6. Pour cake mixture into muffin tins, filling each tin about 3/4 full.
- 7. Bake in oven for 18-20 minutes or until the center of cupcakes have cooked through.
- 8. Remove from oven and let cupcakes cool.
- For Skinny Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1. In a medium sized bowl, beat softened cream cheese on high speed for 30 seconds.
- 2. Gradually add in powdered sugar to cream cheese while mixing on high speed.
- 3. Add in coconut extract and Pure Coconut Milk to cream cheese mixture and mix for 2 minutes.
- 4. Stir in shredded coconut and place mixture in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- 5. Once cupcakes have cooled, frost cupcakes. Top each cupcake with a piece of dried tropical fruit (optional).
Nutrition Info and Tips
Nutrition Info Per Cupcake without frosting: Calories: 109, Fat: 1.7g, Carbohydrates: 21g, Fiber: 0g, Sugars: 11g, Protein: 2.1g
Nutrition Info Per Cupcake with frosting: Calories: 154, Fat: 3.7g, Carbohydrates: 27g, Fiber: .1g, Sugars: 16g, Protein: 2.8g
Copyright 2013 SkinnyMom.com