Being a mom AND a wife makes life very hectic. Mix in having a career, fitting in fitness, and making time for extracurricular activities; life is no easy feat. Even little things like figuring out what to make for dinner, in TIME, can throw life off course. So, in our family, the way it works is we have “staples.” We decide on these staples together, and then go a few weeks with keeping those meals in the rotation until (and IF) we get sick of them. I’ve decided to share one meal with you guys this week because honestly, this meal is not only a healthier option and delicious, but also quick and easy; which is an important ingredient to staying healthy as a family and sane as a mom/wife/employee/athlete/person.
Lemon Chicken and Rice
- 1cup basmati or long grain brown rice
- 16oz low sodium chicken broth
- 1tbsp Earth Balance Buttery Spread or regular butter
- 1tbsp minced garlic
- 1tsp red pepper flakes (if desired)
- 1 lemon
- 1/2lb – 1lb (chicken breast, shrimp, or canned chicken)
- 2tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- In a pot add in broth, rice, butter, and garlic; bring to a boil.
- Once that starts to boil add in red pepper flakes, cover, and reduce heat to low.
- Let simmer for 15-25 minutes depending on rice.
- Take off lid and add in cooked protein choice, squeeze fresh lemon in pot, and add cilantro.
- Mix all together and cover for another 3-5 minutes. Serve!
This meal just bursts with flavor which is why it’s one of our (the crazy foodies) favorite go to meals! I hope you enjoy it!