All I have to say is………OMG!!!!! I found this recipe online and have made them a few times tweeking this and that. I posted it on my Facebook page and received so much feedback. These sandwiches taste like a real cream cheese popper!!! I have to share this amazing and simple recipe …..just warning you though…there’s a lot of heat! This recipe makes 4 sandwiches.
- Loaf of sour dough bread, sliced thick (approx 8 slices)
- 4 oz light cream cheese
- 8 oz bag of cheddar cheese
- 10 jalapeno peppers
- Couple of handfuls of tortilla chips
1. Slice ends off off each pepper each pepper and remove seeds. Slice each pepper in half.
2. Saute in olive oil on a low heat (watch because they burn quickly) This should take about 15 minutes stirring frequently.
3. Spread the cream cheese on each slice of sour dough bread
4. Place jalapeño slices on one side of bread.
5. Top jalapeño slices with shredded cheddar.
6. Crush tortilla chips and place on top of cheese.
7. Top each half with the other slice of bread.
8. Spray a frying pan with butter flavored nonstick cooking spray and grill till golden brown (since I use low fat everything occasionally I give in and use real butter)