My family LOVES granola! But I find, I am always disappointed with all the added unnecessary ingredients in most of the commercial brands out there. Having only sugar from the honey and dried fruits, and no added oils, this recipe is simply FABULOUS and one you can feel good about serving your family!! It is also SO versatile….you can custom make it exactly to your liking…the possibilities are endless!!
You can change up the recipe by using natural almond butter or any nut butter that suits your fancy, in place of the peanut butter, and using whatever dried fruits or raw nuts you like. Dried coconut flakes are really good as well!!
I would LOVE to hear how you like YOUR oats and whatever changes you might of made!!
**Ingredients for one VERY large batch….for smaller families just half all the ingredients.
- 6 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup raw sunflower seeds
- ½ cup unsalted pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup raw slivered almonds
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 1 cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1tbs vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup natural peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients EXCEPT for the salt, dried fruit and nut butter.
- Distribute evenly amongst the two lined baking sheets and toast until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix together salt, dried fruit and peanut butter in a large bowl, add toasted mixture and combine well.
- Pour mixture back onto baking sheets and press down evenly.( I like to moisten my fingers to keep them from sticking to the mixture)
- Return to oven and bake for an additional 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool completely and place in a airtight container - (I like keep it in the fridge.)
- Makes about 28 ½ cup servings.
- GREAT eaten as a cereal, stirred into yogurt, or as a topping on thawed frozen berries. Even place in snack size zip-loc baggies and use as a quick grab and go snack.
Copyright 2013 SkinnyMom.com