I usually always make a homemade meat sauce when I serve spaghetti but I decided to try substituting vegetables in place of the meat this time around. This Skinny Marinara Sauce Recipe turned out delicious and I will definitely make again. You could add more vegetables to your taste and this sauce could easily be made in advance and stored in the freezer for future use. Enjoy!
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp Splenda granulated sweetener
- 2 (32 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- In a large casserole pot, over medium heat, add the following: extra virgin olive oil, onions, mushrooms, and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent about 10 minutes.
- Next, add celery, and carrots. Add salt and pepper. Cook until vegetables are soft for about 10 minutes.
- Next, add the tomatoes, bay leaves, and oregano. Simmer uncovered on low heat until sauce thickens for about 1 hour.
- Next, remove the bay leaves. Add Splenda and stir. Season the sauce with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition Info and Tips
Per Serving (1/12 of sauce):
Copyright 2013 SkinnyMom.com