I made this for dinner last night – and let me just say, it far exceeded my expectations! Adding cheese to any dinner is great, adding three cheeses is amazing! I adapted this from a skinny slow cooker recipe and it was divine! It’s a really simple recipe, but the flavor is so good! My son is in a picky stage and usually will not take a bite, but he ate this! And loved it! If that isn’t a successful dinner, I don’t know what is! Looking for more Kid Approved Recipes? Try my Skinny Mac and Alfredo!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
Serving size: Appox.1 cup
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or 1/2 tsp from the jar)
- 1 -23.25 oz jar no-sugar-added pasta sauce
- 1 -12 oz package penne pasta
- 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 cups low-fat, shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp fresh oregano, diced (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 Tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley, diced (or 1 tsp dried)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cook penne according to the package instructions for al dente, about 10 minutes.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the onion and garlic until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Turn down heat to medium-low. Add the entire jar of pasta sauce to the onion and garlic, stir.
- Drain pasta and add to pasta sauce.
- In a medium size bowl combine cottage cheese, ricotta, 1.5 cups of mozzarella and herbs.
- In a 9x13 pan, add 1/2 pasta mixture. Then spread all of the cheese mixture evenly on top. Next, layer the remaining pasta. Sprinkle the top with the rest of the shredded mozzarella.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
Nutrition Info and Tips
Vitamin A: 8%
Vitamin C: 5%
WWP+: 5 points
Copyright 2013 SkinnyMom.com