You’ve probably heard of quinoa. But have you heard or cooked with Quinoa pasta? It is a great substitution for white or even whole grain pasta and is gluten free. It is lighter and easier to digest than traditional pasta. Since we know that quinoa is a complete protein (15% of its total volume), it makes a great post-workout meal. Be careful not to overcook it. It can turn mushy very easily. It cooks faster than white pasta because it is not as dense. There are many shapes of quinoa pasta; elbow, macaroni, and spaghetti just to name a few. The kids will love it and won’t notice any difference.
Here are some ideas on how to incorporate quinoa pasta in your next skinny meal:
- Roasted cauliflower, zucchini and broccoli. Top with pesto and lemon juice. (pictured)
- Kale, eggplant, and tomatoes.
- Turkey meatballs and marinara sauce.
- Spinach, garlic and shrimp.
- Cold diced chicken, black olives, lemon juice and tomatoes to make a cold pasta salad.
- Cut up veggie pattie with your favorite dressing and topped with 2 tablespoons shredded mozzarella cheese.
What would you add to make a great quinoa pasta bowl?