Two years ago, I did it. I convinced myself that I could, and I managed to avoid even the tiniest piece of candy from my diet from October 1 through December 24…(it’s a long story). Not even a single candy corn! I’m not gonna lie…at first it was miserable. I had giant Gummy Bears stalking me in my dreams. But after detoxing for a week or so, I began to feel the other side of going sugarfree and it felt good, really good. The lesson to be learned from this story is that it’s possible. If you make the firm decision to do so, you can clean sugar, or at least candy, out of your diet. Here are my top 10 reasons that you should try giving up candy during the time of year that we devote to everything sugary:
- Sugar gives you cavities. Yes, teeth can still rot as adults.
- Sugar ruins your breath. Who wants that??
- Sugar makes you gain weight.
- Sugar bloats you.
- Eliminating sugar leaves you feeling lighter, more energetic, just all-around better.
- Eliminating sugar will force you to reach for healthier meal and snack choices.
- Stealing your kids’ candy while they’re at school is just wrong.
- Be a good, healthy, do-as-I-do example for your family.
- Healthy habits have to start somewhere. Start with sugar.
- Prove to yourself that you can do it!!
It’s been 2 years since my diet has been quite that clean. But today, I did it. I have convinced myself that it is possible to eliminate every piece of tempting, sugary sweetness from my diet…not even a taste! And I know I can do it because I’ve done it before. You can do it too and it’s worth the sacrifice and the temporary struggle because of how being sugarfree makes your mind and body feel. Join me, ladies. I’m going on Day 2!