My kids LOVE mac & cheese ( what kid doesn’t)?? However, not being a big fan of the boxed variety, I decided to create my own “healthier” version. In the process of being “creative”, I came up with a few different takes on the meal. Here is one that seems to be a real hit in my house!!
I have a family of six and this recipe makes enough for two meals. If your family is smaller, just simply ½ the recipe
- • 2 375gr box of whole wheat elbow macaroni
- • 1 can black beans ( drained and rinsed)
- • 1 can corn
- • 1 cup salsa
- • 3 cups 1% milk
- • 1 Tbsp butter
- • ¼ whole wheat flour
- • ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- • 1 tsp cumin
- • 1 tsp chili powder
- • 1 tsp garlic powder
- • sea salt & pepper to taste
- • 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Prepare pasta as directed on box, drain water and place in a 9x13 or slightly larger oven safe dish.
- 2. Stir in black beans, corn and salsa and set aside.
- 3. In a medium size saucepan, constantly whisk sauce ingredients until thickened (about 5 min).
- 4. Once thickened, pour over prepared pasta, stir to make sure it is all covered. Top with cheese.
- 5. Bake in a 350 oven for 30 mins, switching to a broil for the last 5 mins until cheese is bubbling and golden brown.
Nutrition Info and Tips
**Sometimes I like to add in cooked ground turkey.
**EXCELLENT with a few avocado slices on top!!
Copyright 2013 SkinnyMom.com