Wondering what to serve on Christms morning? It is easy to open a can of sticky buns and toss them into the oven for a dose of saturated fat and empty calories. But instead, bake up this breakfast pastry that is lower in calories than most store-bought varieties and far more satisfying than anything Pillsbury can pop open!
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
(The house will smell amazing!)
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup coarse, whole-grain polenta
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup wheat flakes
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3 Tbsp packed light-brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 Tbsp Honey (or maple syrup)
- 1/2 Tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1. With the rack in the center preheat oven to 350.
- 2. Grease a 9-inch round springform pan.
- 3. Combine topping ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- 4. Combine pastry flour, polenta, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- 5. With an electric mixer cream eggs and sugar on medium speed for about 5 minutes which should double the volume.
- 6. Add orange zest and vanilla; mix well.
- 7. Using a rubber spatula, stir in flour mix until batter is smooth.
- 8. Add melted butter and stir well. Spread batter in greased pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- 9. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before removing. Enjoy!
Copyright 2013 SkinnyMom.com
Photo Credit: http://www.womenshealthmag.com