Skinny Gingerbread Cookies
No cookie quite says Christmas like the Gingerbread Man! He’s “Gingie” in our house. We make lots of gingerbread creations this time of year. Many of the recipes contain shortening and mostly white flour, which are not exactly figure-friendly. SparkRecipes has a delicious and skinny recipe for gingerbread cookies that are healthier and just as tasty as the original. Enjoy and savor the gingerbread goodness!
Prep time: 70 minutes
Cook time: 8 minutes
Yield: 20 gingerbread cookies
Serving Size: 1 cookie
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp salt substitute
- 1/4 cup Splenda brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1/4 cup sugar-free maple-flavored syrup
- 2 tbsp light vanilla yogurt
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- Combine flours, allspice, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, and salt well in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, use a wooden spoon to beat molasses, syrup, Splenda brown sugar, applesauce, and yogurt until well blended.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the larger bowl and mix until a stiff dough forms.
- Press the dough into a disc, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray 2 cookie sheets with non-stick spray.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Using a 2-inch gingerbread man cookie cutter, cut out cookies.
- Gather the dough scraps, re-roll, and keep making gingerbread men until all dough is used up.
- Use a spatula to transfer cookies to cookie sheets, placing them 1-inch apart.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until golden brown, rotating sheets halfway through to ensure even baking.
- Remove to wire racks and let cool completely.
Nutrition Info and Tips
Per Serving (1 cookie):
Total Fat: 0.2
Sodium: 18.6 mg
Total Carbs: 13.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.8 g
Protein: 1.4 g
Copyright 2013 SkinnyMom.com