As I write this, it is snowing (blizzard conditions, actually) outside my home. My car is barely visible under a mountainous pile of snow. The front door steps, sidewalk, driveway, and street outside my home are all completely unseen, covered in a blanket of white. So basically, I can’t leave my house today. If you are in a similar situation, fret not– it is still possible to shed those “holiday” pounds without leaving your home. Even if the weather is fine where you are, working out at home can also save money if you can’t afford a gym membership.
Here are some great workouts you can do from the comfort of your own home:
1. Fitness DVDs- Dust them off! I own several, various types of fitness DVDs–most of which I have never even used. What better time than now? Insanity, Brazilian Butt Lift, Mat Pilates, Yoga, P90x, etc. are all great choices.
2. Functional Fitness (as discussed on SkinnyMom.com and seen in CrossFit gyms) This is my favorite type of at home workout. I time myself doing various reps of functional fitness exercises. For example, as fast as I can without losing form I will do:
- 21 thrusters with a 20 lb. kettlebell
- followed by 21 burpees;
- 15 thrusters with 15 burpees;
- finishing with 9 thrusters and 9 burpees, timed.
I definitely have to take breaks and walk around the room in between sets to cool down. If I am feeling like a champion, I’ll repeat the same workout again later in the day. *To do a “Thruster”, hold the kettlebell at chest level, go down into a deep squat, and when coming up lift the kettlebell over your shoulders completely extending your arms toward the ceiling. For burpee examples, check out this video from Skinny Mom.
3. Pilates- Grab a Pilates DVD or go online and get inspired. I have a Pilates reformer machine I work with at home, which I love! They have affordable options online at sites like Amazon and QVC. And if a reformer doesn’t fit in the budget, just opt for the DVD and a mat. Pilates is a great way to get toned and lean.
4. Strength Training- if you don’t have any weights or equipment, then grab two cans in your kitchen. With one weight or can in each hand, do walking lunges or squats. Do step ups on a sturdy surface or stairs. For arms, do arm circles, shoulder presses, or bicep curls during commercial breaks or when you get a few minutes of downtime. You can also work on your push-ups! How many can you do in a row?
5. Cardio- If you have stairs, run up and down them ten times. Repeat 3-5x. You can also jump rope, jog in place, run laps around the house, do jumping jacks and burpees. These exercises will definitely get that heart rate up and burn fat!
Stay fit rain, shine (or blizzards!), Skinny Moms. We can do it.