I can’t get enough mac and cheese as the cold weather moves in. There is something about a big bowl that just warms up winter nights and makes everyone in my house happy! My skinny version of Mac and Alfredo is a huge winner with my family! The cottage cheese and mozzarella blend into a delicious sauce that gives me all the cheesy flavor I’m looking for, with less than 300 calories per serving!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Serving size: 1.5 cups
- 2 cups whole grain penne pasta, uncooked
- 1 - 10 oz jar light alfredo sauce
- 1 - 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed + well-drained
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- ¼ cup skim milk
- 1 Tbsp light butter, melted
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp dried basil
- 1 egg
- ½ cup low moisture, part-skim, shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Coat a 9×9 inch baking dish with nonstick spray. You can use glass or metal.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and rinse in cold water. Drain again.
- In a large bowl, whisk together Alfredo sauce, drained spinach, cottage cheese, milk, butter and garlic.
- Add pasta and mix really well.
- Blend in egg and basil. Be sure it’s all mixed together well.
- Transfer pasta to the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the top evenly with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake casserole for 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Let casserole rest for 10 minutes.
Nutrition Info and Tips
Per Serving (1.5 cups):
Vitamin A: 85%
Vitamin C: 15%
WWP+: 8 points
Copyright 2013 SkinnyMom.com