Candles are known to create a soothing atmosphere. In addition to lighting up a room, scented candles bring aromas into your home. There is nothing like the scent of an apple pie candle burning on a crisp fall day, or a sweet pea candle on a sunny, spring day. Some research suggests that candles scented with real essential oils do more than improve the atmosphere; they can actually affect your mood. By triggering parts of your brain that signal your body to relax, scented aromatherapy candles can boost your mood and reduce your stress levels. So which candles should you be running to the store to get?
Lavender & Sandalwood
Some studies show that burning certain scents at night actually helps people fall asleep more easily. Lavender and sandalwood have calming effects and reduce anxiety. It is said that both lavender and sandalwood help people experience deeper, more restful sleep. When you sleep well at night, you feel more refreshed and energetic the next day. Some studies also suggest that the smell of lavender helps people feel more positive.
Peppermint, Lemon, Cinnamon, Vanilla, Rose & Jasmine
- While no aromatherapy treatment can “cure” depression, inhaling the aroma of scented candles can give depression sufferers temporary relief. Scents like peppermint, lemon and jasmine have shown to help boost moods by targeting the endocrine system, causing the brain to release tension, nervousness and negative emotions. Since the sense of smell is so closely linked with the emotional centers of the brain, specific scents — including cinnamon, vanilla and rose – can help relieve depression symptoms by triggering happy memories and thoughts.
Citrus Flavors: Orange, Lemon and Grapefruit
- If you want to create a cheerful, clean environment in your home, choose candles scented with citrus, mint, or pine. Often these scents can be not only uplifting and motivating, but just give that “clean” feel. When you or your guests walk in, these scents will be a fresh breeze to welcome. Citrus scents can also improve your mood by lifting your energy levels. Citrus scents like grapefruit, orange and lemon may make you feel more excited, energetic and positive throughout the day. The scent of grapefruit is known to trigger feelings of happiness which makes us feel energized and alert.
Gardenia, Eucalyptus & Patchouli (my favorite)
- Gardenia is known to trigger sexual feelings. Floral and woodsy scents give that wistful, romantic feel to a room.
- Eucalyptus is known to enhance concentration and mental focus. It also has a calming effect and is often used in spas.
- Patchouli is good for the emotions; it has an effect of balancing upset emotions and calming the nerves from an upsetting situation. It helps you remain in control of your emotions. It is very useful in controlling depression, anxiety and all stress related emotions.