This is my favorite recipe to make with brown rice. The sweetness of the pineapple combined with the peppers and green onion give ordinary brown rice big tropical flavor. I seriously have to watch my portion sizes on this recipe as I can eat 2 or more cups if I am not careful. I love pairing this recipe with my Skinny Pineapple Grilled Chicken Sandwich (coming soon!) or my Skinny Shrimp Kabobs. You will also see in the recipe that I prepare the rice with chicken stock instead of water, but that is a personal preference and you can use water as a substitute. I just like the extra flavor the chicken stock adds to the rice. Also note that I use instant rice in this recipe, which is what the cook times and amounts are referring to. If you are not using instant rice, your rice will not cook the same with the cook times and amounts I have laid out here, so make sure you adjust! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
Serving size: 1/2 of cup
- 3 cups uncooked brown rice (I used instant brown rice)
- 2.5 cup chicken broth (look for reduced sodium brand)
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp packed light brown sugar
- 1 16 ounce can crushed pineapple packed in juice
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ½ cup chopped red pepper, yellow, and orange peppers (I like to use the mini sweet peppers)
- ½ cup finely chopped scallions
- Bring 2 ½ cups of chicken stock to a boil and add instant brown rice.
- Bring rice to a boil and then cover and turn heat down to low and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove rice from heat, uncover and stir. Let rice stand for 5 minutes and all liquid should be absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
- While rice is cooking, brown coconut for 2-4 minutes until toasted in a medium saute pan. Remove coconut from heat and set aside.
- Spray a medium saute pan with non-stick cooking spray. Add green onions and peppers and cook for 2-3 minutes until softened and set aside.
- Using a strainer, drain juice from crushed pineapple.
- In a small saute pan over medium heat, add pineapple juice, lime juice, brown sugar and salt. Simmer over low heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Mix rice, coconut, scallions, and peppers together. Add in pineapple sauce and stir to cover rice evenly with juice.
- Serve immediately or store for later serving.
Nutrition Info and Tips
Per Serving (1/2 cup):
Copyright 2013 SkinnyMom.com