We are so fortunate to live in a great metropolitan area like Atlanta. It is incredibly rich in fun and educational activities that are sure to captivate the attention of even the pickiest children! My boys are fairly easy to please, but for those that may take a bit more persuading, here is a list of ten of our favorite things to do with the kids in the Atlanta area.
1. Six Flags and White Water: This has become our new favorite activity during the summer. My youngest is satisfied riding the train around Six Flags all day while my oldest enjoys the new SkyScreamer! A season pass for both parks is less than you would pay to visit just one park twice.2. Zoo Atlanta: The Zoo is open 363 days of the year and is definitely a local favorite. It boasts an impressive array of wildlife including Po the Panda, named after the iconic character of Po the panda in Kung Fu Panda. Most of the zoo is in the shade, so it’s a pleasant visit even on the hottest of days! There are plenty of animals to see, as well as food to eat, and rides to ride! (photo credit here)
3. Georgia Aquarium: If you visit the Aquarium, plan to stay an entire day! There’s so much to do and see! Our favorite thing to do at the Aquarium is to watch the AT&T Dolphin Tales show. The show is simply amazing and moving. If you want to get wet, sit in the first couple of rows. The show can be a bit scary though for the youngest of kids.
5. Fernbank Museum of Natural History: Fernbank is a bit deceptive. You know about the IMAX theater and the dinosaur exhibit, but the rest you find by exploring the many side rooms in the museum. There is so much to do and enjoy for any age in this journey to another time and place! Your kids will love the NatureQuest where they can adventure through a multi-level clubhouse.
6. Atlanta Botanical Gardens: Not only are the gardens home to the Canopy Walk that extends 40 feet into the air, but it also boasts it’s own two-acre Children’s Garden. Make sure to bring a change of clothes because your children will love the interactive fountains! (photo credit here)
7. Stone Mountain Park: The top attraction at Stone Mountain is the Summit Skyride. Enjoy views of the park from 825 feet above ground! Stay and watch the Lasershow Spectactular when the sun goes down.
9. The Fox Theater: The historic Fox Theater is one of Atlanta’s favorite places to view some live entertainment. Enjoy Broadway shows, concerts and movies while taking in the rich history of the building itself.
The Southern Museum: Voted one of the top cities to live in with kids, Kennesaw is also the home to The Southern Museum. If you have a train enthusiast in your house, this is the place for you! (photo credit here)10.
There are so many other places worth visiting and mentioning in the Atlanta area. If you don’t believe me, you’ll just have to come see for yourself!