Who doesn’t love the taste of a good, deep fried fish stick?! Well, rather than deep frying these scrumptious sticks, I used a skillet with a touch of canola oil so you can enjoy the same crave-worthy taste without all the added fat and calories. I’ve also traded the doughy breading for a crunchier, much healthier coating of flax meal and breadcrumbs. My secret to flavoring the fish sticks is a little Parmesan cheese. I hope you like our skinny version of this classic dish!
For more skinny fish and seafood classics, click here!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 1/4 recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs tilapia fillet
- 1/4 cup ground flax meal (flaxseed that has been ground)
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 4 whole egg whites
- 2 tsp old bay seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup organic extra virgin olive oil
- Cut fish into 1 inch strips and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Put egg whites in a shallow bowl and whisk.
- In another shallow bowl, add Parmesan cheese, flax meal, breadcrumbs, old bay seasoning, salt & pepper and mix well.
- Heat canola oil in a deep frying pan on medium-high heat.
- Dip each piece into the egg whites, then into the breadcrumb mixture. Make sure to coat fish evenly.
- Once all of the fish sticks have been coated, place in hot frying pan in a single layer.
- Cook on each side until golden brown - about 4 minutes per side.
- Serve hot with malt vinegar or a light tarter sauce.
Nutrition Info and Tips
Per Serving (1/4 recipe)
WWP+: 10 points
Copyright 2013 SkinnyMom.com