I hope everyone is still staying on track with the Marathon Mom challenge. I know sometimes it’s hard to just get out there and do it. There’s a million excuses, but remember, you need to do it! The rewards are well worth it, and before you know it, a mile will be your warm-up! So, to help you also stay on track with your eating habits, I have found some great snacks you can walk off in one mile. Be sure to write these down and incorporate them into your meal plan. I try to stay away from prepackaged food. Although they may be convenient, it’s much better to prepare your snacks yourself. Keep in mind that walking one mile usually equals 100 calories, a few more if you run. So get your sneakers on and get out there and run or walk your mile a day for Skinny Mom’s Marathon Mom Challenge! Then get your fuel on with these snack ideas from The Daily HIIT.
1. Sliced Tomato with a sprinkle of Olive Oil & Feta: Olive oil is a great source of omega-3s and fatty acids. Feta truly compliments the acidity of the tomatoes and the oil. A touch of black pepper adds a great kick as well!
2. Edamame (1/2 cup): Edamame is super tasty when toasted. Just a sprinkle of your favorite seasoning and these are poppable like chips but without all the guilt!
3. Baby Carrots (1 cup) & Hummus (2 Tbsp). My favorite flavor is the Mediterranean Hummus from Trader Joe’s. I seriously cannot get enough of hummus right now! The health benefits are great as well since chickpeas are rich in fiber and protein and contain vitamins and minerals like folic acid, magnesium and zinc.
4. 2 Egg Whites & One Slice of Whole Wheat Toast: Get a boost of lean protein with the egg whites and a healthy dose of fiber with the whole wheat toast. This will keep you full for the whole walk!
5. 5 Hershey’s Dark Chocolate Kisses: For those times when you just need chocolate! Every girl has that moment and every girl deserves to give into that moment–in moderation of course.
6. 18 Fat-Free Rold Gold Pretzel Twists: If you feel like you bloat easily, go for unsalted pretzels. If you don’t have the time to make your own homemade snacks, these are one of the better crunchier snacks. However, portion your pretzels out ahead of time so you don’t end up mindlessly eating the whole bag!
7. 14 Almonds: Almonds have become super popular lately. There’s almond milk and the flavors of roasted almonds you can buy are out of this world. I have even recently seen Caramel Macchiato flavored almonds. The cleanest route is obviously the whole, natural almonds, and you can eat around 27 of them for one serving!
7. Apple Slices With Peanut Butter: Peanut butter is a great source of healthy fat. Naturally, it pairs well with the tart apple. Be very careful with your peanut butter measuring, because those calories can add up fast.