This traditional Latin dish, usually served over rice, is bursting with flavor! I’ve got this one filed away in my go-to recipes for busy nights! My Skinny Beef Picadillo is so simple to make and is ready to go in under 30 minutes. The onions, peppers and ground beef make a hearty meal that will satisfy your hunger long past dinner time. If rice isn’t your thing, try the filling on a whole-wheat wrap!
Yield: 4.5 servings
Serving size: 1/2 cup meat mixture
- 1 lb extra lean ground sirloin
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup stuffed pimento olives
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 - 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté onions, garlic, green pepper, and red pepper in extra virgin olive oil for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Add ground beef and olives to skillet to brown.
- Season mixture with salt, garlic powder, red pepper, cumin and black pepper.
- After meat has browned and is no longer pink, add tomato sauce and stir to cover and mix well.
- Allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes before serving.
- Serve over brown rice or with whole wheat tortillas.
- *Nutrition calculations do not include brown rice or whole wheat tortillas.
Nutrition Info and Tips
Per Serving (1/2 cup meat mixture):
Vitamin A: 6%
Vitamin C: 35 %
Iron: 17 %
WWP+: 6 points
Copyright 2013 SkinnyMom.com