Feel like you’re doing everything right? Watching your diet and working out 3+ times per week but still aren’t seeing any results? It could be because your metabolism needs a serious overhaul. Most people I’ve encountered have dealt with this at one time or another. They’re stuck in the notorious rut; they were seeing great results until suddenly what they’ve been doing isn’t working anymore. I’ve been there, and it is beyond frustrating. If this is you, here are some great tips to give your metabolism a much needed makeover!
1. Quit the fad diet. Things like crash diets and diet pills might give you fast results, but all they’re really doing is turning your metabolism into a yo-yo. Fad diets are way more detrimental than beneficial to your body.
2. Take a breather. Stress can really do a number on your metabolism. It’s a hormonal and chemical reaction involving cortisol and glucose. Simply finding ways to relax and prevent chronic anxiety and stress can help your metabolism get back on track.
3. Stay away from too much sugar. Having a lot of sugar in your blood stream creates a chain reaction in your body that leads to decreased digestive function. You want your body to be running as efficiently as possible – so fix the super sweet tooth!
4. Switch to higher intensity workouts. If you’ve been doing the same workout routine for months, it’s time to switch it up. Try these 20-minute calorie torchers!
5. Eat 5-6 small meals per day. Unlike the typical breakfast, lunch, and dinner routine, eating several small meals can prevent your metabolism from slowing down throughout the day.
6. Ditch the “fake” foods. Try to eat as close to the source as possible. Additives and processed foods can really slow you down because your body doesn’t know how to process them.
7. Drink more H2O. When you are dehydrated, your whole body functions less efficiently. Some research even suggests that increasing your water intake can boost your metabolism even if you were already drinking a sufficient amount. Take it a step further and make sure the water is nice and cold. Theoretically, your body works harder to bring cold water to your body temperature, which is an extra boost for your metabolism.
8. Get plenty of sleep. That “running on empty” feeling you have when you haven’t had enough rest is exactly how your metabolism is functioning. Catching some more Zs could help you “reboot” your metabolism.
9. Drink coffee or tea. Coffee and tea are naturally caffeinated, and caffeine is a stimulant. So, your morning cup of joe can really rev up your metabolism. This is probably my favorite suggestion… Someone pass me a latte!