Skinny Chicken Tamale Pie
This is hands down one of my favorite Mexican meals! I first saw it on Pinch of Yum and have been making it a few times every month since. The corn cake brings just the right amount of sweetness to this dish, and I love serving it with fresh cilantro and light sour cream on the side! To save time during the week, I like to prep on Sundays by cooking up a big batch of chicken in my crock pot. Just store it in Ziploc Freezer Bags and use as needed during the week!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
Serving size: 1/8 of pie
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked + shredded
- 1 - 10 oz can red enchilada sauce
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1 - 14.5 oz can cream-style corn
- 1 - 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 1 1/2 Tbsp reduced-sodium taco seasoning, divided
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat, shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 - 8.5 oz box corn muffin mix
- fresh cilantro (optional)
- reduced-fat sour cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine skim milk, egg whites, 1/2 Tbsp taco seasoning, red pepper, cream-style corn, corn muffin mix and green chilies.
- Stir ingredients until moist and then transfer mixture into a round pie plate coated with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Corn cake will be done when golden brown.
- While corn cake is baking, toss shredded chicken with remaining 1 Tbsp taco seasoning in a small bowl.
- Remove corn cake from oven and pierce generously with fork, making indentations all over corn cake.
- Pour red enchilada sauce over pierced corn cake.
- Top enchilada sauce with chicken and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Cut into 8 equal size slices.
- Top with fresh cilantro and/or light sour cream before serving.
Nutrition Info and Tips
Per Serving (1/8 of pie):
Vitamin A: 11%
Vitamin C: 3%
WWP+: 7 points
Copyright 2013 SkinnyMom.com