I know everyone wants to enjoy the season without thinking about calories and how many grams of sugar is in every cookie or slice of pie. I don’t want to think about that either, but if you are going to a few holiday parties or if there are goodies all around you, do what I do and bake your own goodies to control ingredients.
There are also a few people I know that have a medical condition where they can’t just eat whatever is laid out for everyone else. That is why I like to bake all kinds of treats and gift them. I can tell them exactly what I put in and calculate the calorie content.
When I first decided to lose weight, it was right before the holiday season. I didn’t want all of my hard work to go to waste. So I fooled around with some recipes that were full of sugar and I managed to make them healthy and even good for you!
Tips For Cutting Calories in Baked Goods:
- Even if you cut the sugar by 1/4 cup, it can make a big difference. You can still taste the sweetness in your cookies while cutting calories.
- Instead of using butter, it can be substituted with an ingredient that has less fat such as, applesauce, juice or Greek yogurt.
- Replacing half of the flour with whole wheat or white whole wheat flour can add fiber to your recipe and therefore make you eat less.
- Of course you can also make smaller servings and give away the rest.
- Why not add some protein to your cookies? I like to use a scoop or two of vanilla whey protein to my cookies for great pre-workout fuel or afternoon snack just like in the recipe I created below.
Playing around with a baking recipe can be a little bit tricky, but after a few tries you get a handle of it and it becomes fun for the whole family!