A question we get at Skinny Mom quite often is “how do women get rid of their muffin top?” Diet is a huge factor. It’s time to put down those sugary drinks (even the diet kind), and replace them with water. Trade in your chips and candy for veggies and fruit. Hit the cardio for 30 minutes a day three times a week and give these nine killer abdominal workouts a try. These moves target your core and get your heart rate up to help burn those dreaded calorie bugs!
Rest for 30 seconds to a minute between each set and new exercise.
> Click here to download a free printable version of this workout to take with you to the gym!
Warmup: It’s always good to start with a 10-15 minute warmup. Get those muscles nice and warmed up. Not only does this help prevent injury, but you get half of those 30 minutes of cardio in! If you’re at the gym, jump on the treadmill, stationary bike, elliptical or stair master. If you’re home, hit the neighborhood. Walk, run or bike 5-8 minutes one way then turn around and head back.
1. Stability Ball V-Pass: That ball might feel light, but wait until your abs have to support it! You’ll start sweating in no time! Watch the video below, then click here for a full description of how to do this move.
- Beginner: 3 sets of 12 (bend your knees if necessary)
- Advanced: 3 sets of 15
- Why? This move works your entire core and is a great mix-up from traditional ab exercises.
2. Burpees: This is one of the most challenging exercises, because it wipes you out after only a couple reps! Hang in there, though — the benefits are worth it! For more information on how to do a burpee, click here after watching the video!
- Beginner: 3 sets of 10
- Advanced: 3 sets of 15 (for an added challenge, add a pushup when you have jumped your feet back to pushup position)
- Why? This move does it all, plus it will get your heart rate up for a great cardio session!
3. Plank Tuck Twist with Stability Ball: This exercise will really bring the sweat! It works your arms, legs and abs, and even seems to defy gravity! Use your core in order to keep yourself balanced. Click here for more information.
- Beginner: 3 sets of 10 per side
- Advanced: 3 sets of 12-15 per side
- Why? This move works your arms, shoulders, back, core and lower body.
4. Mountain Climbers: This pushup-like exercise will really crank up the heat! Try to bring your knees as far up to your chest as you can (without kicking yourself!), and remember that the faster you go, the more you will sweat! Check out the video below, then click here for instructions.
- Beginner: 3 sets of 10-20 per side
- Advanced: 3 sets of 20-40 per side (or as many as you can for 60 seconds)
- Why? This move does it all and will get your heart rate up for a great cardio burst.
5. Kneeling Side Crunch: Looking for a way to target those obliques? Then this is the perfect exercise for you! Keep your core engaged as you lift your leg to keep yourself stable, and crunch toward your outstretched toes. If you need more information, go ahead and click here.
- Beginner: 3 sets of 12 per side
- Advanced: 3 sets of 15 per side
- Why? This move works your obliques and lats and is a great move to trim your middle.