If you’ve been skipping Happy Hour with the ladies for the sake of good health we have some fantastic news for you! Red wine in moderation (1 to 3 drinks max) holds a myriad of health benefits, as found on Prevention.com and Fitday.com. With only 115 calories per 5 ounce glass, belly up to the bar and check out 8 ways red wine can make for a Happy Happy Hour for Mama!
1. Lowers Your “Bad” Cholesterol: Red wine has been shown to lower LDL (low-density lipoprotein), or “bad” cholesterol. High levels of LDL are responsible for a person being at greater risk of a heart attack or stroke.
2. Protects Your Heart: Along with lowering LDL levels, the antioxidants found in red wine, called Polyphenols, help to keep blood vessels flexible, reducing the risk of unwanted clotting. They are considered by some experts to be as nearly as effective as an aspirin regimen.
3. Controls Your Blood Sugar: The resveratrol found in the skins of the red grapes used to make red wine helps to regulate your body’s glucose, or blood sugar, production. Sudden blood sugar spikes and drops can lead to light headedness and dizziness, extreme hunger, and increased fat production in your body.
4. Stops the Growth of Cancer: Resveratrol comes to the rescue once again! This amazing component of red wine helps to prevent cancer-feeding proteins from working, helping to stop the growth of cancer.
5. Prevents Fat Cells from Forming: Nip fat cells in the bud! Red wine helps block the pathways necessary for immature fat cells to mature and grow.
6. Keeps Your Mind Sharp: Plaque in the brain is thought to be a root cause of diseases like Alzheimer’s. Red wine can help to slow down the formation of this plaque, keeping your mind sharp for years to come.
7. Staves off the Common Cold: People who drink red wine in moderation have a 40% less chance of coming down with the common cold than their non-wine drinking counterparts.
8. Prevents Tooth Decay: Red wine hardens your enamel, a necessary component in preventing tooth decay, and can also prevent gum disease and even reduce inflammation in the gums.
As with anything, moderation is key! Over indulging can have the opposite effect and be detrimental to your health. Have fun welcoming back Happy Hour with some good red wine and great friends! Cheers, ladies!