Diet-surfing is exhausting! There seems to be an endless number of books, articles and pins battling for our attention (and money). The no-carb, vegetarian, liquid-only, HCG and cabbage soup diets. The bottom line seems to be that fad diets may be able to give us temporary results, but leave us looking again and again for a better way to trim down our love handles and saddlebags.
Clean eating isn’t a fad diet. It’s a permanent, healthy way of eating that, with a little practice, can (and should) become a way of life. Clean eating is eating for the sake of nourishing your body with food as close to it’s natural state as possible. There is no math, no point systems, no insane calorie restrictions. When you begin to replace the processed, fried and unhealthy foods from your diet with whole grains, fruits, veggies and lean protein, your body will respond in amazing ways.
- Your muscles will respond to the added lean protein by growing which will speed up your metabolism.
- Your body will respond to the whole grains by regulating itself.
- Your body will also rid itself of water weight caused by excess sodium that is PACKED in processed food.
To make getting started on a clean eating path as simple as possible, we have created an acronym:
- C: COUNT your meals. You should aim to eat 5-6 times a day (3 meals and 2-3 small snacks). Shoot for every couple of hours. This will keep your metabolism burning all day long!
- L: LEAN protein! Each meal should contain about a palm-sized serving of lean protein (white-meat chicken/turkey, fish, black beans, egg whites, etc.) Find your favorites and keep them on hand.
- E: EAT your fruits and veggies! They’re delicious, filling and packed with what our bodies need.
- A: AVOID processed and refined foods. White flour, sugar, bread and pastas are no-nos. Replace them with complex carbs such as brown rice and whole wheat. Also, read ingredient lists. A long list means ‘not clean’. Read Food Labels Translated: 10 Alarming Ingredients to Avoid!
- N: NEVER eat mindlessly. Too often, we tend to grab a food and toss it back without even a thought. The next time you go to eat something, ask yourself, “Will this do anything positive for my body?” and “Will I regret this choice later?”.
Check out 4 must-have ingredients for clean eating here!