1. What inspired you to start writing your blog? I started blogging in 2007 after losing 30 pounds after graduating from college. I wanted to show people that healthy living could be fun and delicious. A few months into blogging, I decided I wanted to help others get healthier and set out on a 2.5 year journey to become a Registered Dietitian.
2. What is your favorite aspect about being part of an online blogging community? The creativity. I love sitting down to write a post as well as reading what other bloggers are doing in the kitchen and their lives.
3. What is your favorite topic to blog about? I love attending beautiful events like weddings, wine tastings, vacations and then writing recaps of my experience, food included of course! The prettier the setting, the more fun the post is to write.
4. In your opinion, what is the best feature on your blog? My blog is a photo journal, so I would hope the photos would tell a story – a bigger story than the captions that go with them.
5. Where do your recipe ideas come from? Cravings! When I decide what to make each day, I wait for something to call out to my mouth + stomach. I rarely make elaborate meal plans because I like going by my cravings each night for dinner. I usually have a general plan of a few key ingredients, but the direction I head is always unexpected.
The more versatile ingredients you have in your fridge, the more likely you’ll be inspired to cook with them. While I consider myself a foodie, I don’t really like spending long hours in the kitchen, so most of my meals are ready in 20 minutes or less. I specialize in taking fresh ingredients – vegetables from the garden; meat, fish and beans; complements like cheese and nuts; and whole grains and combining them into a quick healthy meal. 6. What advice do you have for busy moms and women that don’t have a lot of time to get a balanced meal ready every night for their family?
7. What is your favorite dish? I’m a breakfast fanatic, so anything oatmeal-based sits at the top of my list.
8. What is the one spice or herb everyone should have in their cabinet? Smoked paprika!! So much better than regular paprika – it’s great on veggies!
9. What is your favorite cooking appliance? I recently invested in a rice cooker, which has made cooking grains, beans and things a piece of cake – especially since I’m expecting a baby at the end of the summer and will need my dinners to cook themselves even more!
10. What is your go to dish when hosting a party or attending an event? Either a green salad (you can never have enough!) or a dip like homemade hummus or a bean dip.