Building muscle is a balance between strategic strength training and an eating plan that includes proper protein and healthy carbohydrates while limiting refined sugars, processed food, and artificial ingredients, but this doesn’t mean that you have to settle for the same salmon and kale for lunch and a dry chicken breast for dinner! Here is a compilation of 25 muscle building foods that can add variety to your diet and help you sculpt those muscles into flex-worthy shape.
1. Greek yogurt: With more than twice the protein of regular yogurt, Greek yogurt is a great source to turn to when focused on muscle enhancement. Just be careful to look out for artificial colors, added sugars, and ingredients. Greek yogurt also contains casein, a slow digesting milk protein to help keep you feeling full longer.
2. Black beans: Don’t save these gems for taco night. Eating black beans provides you with vitamins B, K, C, and A which are low in saturated fats. It’s a high protein and fiber food that is low in calories. Yes, please.
3. Cottage cheese: Also containing casein, cottage cheese additionally contains an average of 28 grams of protein in one cup! Choosing a low-fat cottage cheese is a great option provided it has not been supplemented with extra sugar or sodium.
4. Eggs: A whole egg is a perfect pick for a protein punch. And don’t get rid of the yolk! When trying to build muscle, the yolk contains beneficial nutrients worthy of consumption. We’re currently salivating over these 11 incredible egg recipes.
>> VIDEO: How To Hard-Boil An Egg
5. Broccoli: Not only is broccoli low in calories and filling, it also contains a significant amount of soluble fiber, which aids in fat loss. Who doesn’t love a fat loss bonus?!
6. Chocolate milk: Another option containing the slow-digesting protein, casein, chocolate milk has been touted as not only a great post-workout recovery drink, but a good source of necessary carbs.
7. Almonds: These nuts stack up high when it comes to fiber and protein in comparison to most nut options. They also contain vitamin B, a vitamin linked to energize metabolism. Try Skinny Mom’s yummy Fruit and Almond Trail Mix, which is kid-tested and mommy-approved.
Click “next” below for more muscle-building foods.