This is one of our favorite soup recipes! Just prep it the night before and you can have it completely ready the next night without any extra work! It’s great for busy nights–especially during school and extracurricular nights. Try our slow cooker Skinny Vegetarian Chipotle Chili with Black Beans for another night when cooking isn’t an option!
We want to make sure our recipes are juuust right before we share them with our readers, so we have reworked an older version of this recipe into a new and improved creation! This recipe is skinnier, tastier and better than ever thanks to a tiny bit of tweaking, and we know you’ll love it.
Recipe: Tortilla Chicken Soup
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low
Yield: 6 servings
Serving size: 1¾ cups and 2 tablespoons tortilla strips
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small onion, diced
- 15-ounce can reduced sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 12-ounce bag frozen yellow corn
- 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- Two, 10-ounce cans Ro*Tel® Original Mile Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- 4.5-ounce can chopped green chilies
- 1-ounce less sodium taco seasoning
- 32-ounce Pacific® Organic Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- ¾ cup Fresh Gourmet® Lightly Salted Tortilla Strips
- reduced-fat sour cream
- sliced jalapeño peppers
- reduced-fat Mexican shredded cheese
- cilantro, chopped
- lime wedges
- *Optional toppings are not included in nutritional calculations.
- Place the chicken on the bottom of slow cooker.
- Add the onion, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, green chilies, taco seasoning, and chicken broth. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- Remove the chicken and shred. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and mix well.
- To serve, ladle 1 3/4 cup of soup into each bowl and, garnish with 2 tablespoons of the tortilla strips.
Per Serving (1¾ cups and 2 tablespoons tortilla strips):
Copyright 2015 SkinnyMom.com