Hey y’all! You’ve stumbled across one of Skinny Mom’s most popular recipes. So popular, in fact, that it made its way into my cookbook, SKINNY SUPPERS: 125 Lightened-Up, Healthier Meals For Your Family, along with 100 other brand-new, exclusive recipes! Click here to learn more about my journey to writing SKINNY SUPPERS.  I’m so excited to share my new recipes with you and your families! xo, Brooke
If you love to tailgate, then you’ll love this recipe! This soup is the perfect way to serve up some spice without serving up the calories. Plus, the longer it simmers in your slow cooker, the more flavorful it will become, so it’ll taste just as good halfway through the game as it did before!
We want to make sure our recipes are juuust right before we share them with our readers, so we have reworked an older version of this recipe into a new and improved creation! This recipe is skinnier, tastier and better than ever thanks to a tiny bit of tweaking, and we know you’ll love it.
Recipe: Tortilla Chicken Soup
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low
Yield: 6 servings
Serving size: 1¾ cups and 2 tablespoons tortilla strips
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 (15-ounce) can reduced-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (12-ounce) bag frozen corn kernels
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (10-ounce) cans Ro*Tel® mild diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 1 (1-ounce) packet less-sodium taco seasoning
- 1 (32-ounce) container low-sodium chicken broth (I like Pacific Organic)
- ¾ cup Fresh Gormet lightly salted tortilla strips
- Place the chicken in a slow cooker. Add the onion, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, green chilies, taco seasoning, and chicken broth, and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high heat for 4 hours or on low heat for 8 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and mix well.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish each serving with 2 tablespoons of tortilla strips.
Per Serving (1¾ cups and 2 tablespoons tortilla strips):
Copyright 2015 SkinnyMom.com
The nutrition content of recipes on SkinnyMom.com has been calculated by Registered Dietitian, Jessica Penner, of Smart Nutrition .
Click here to see how Skinny Mom calculates SmartPoints.