My mom was a crafter and still is an excellent sewer. I will never forget our trips to Jo-Ann Fabrics. I would always get so excited, because it was my special duty to scoop out the buttons at the check out. Yes, at the register there always awaited a barrel of buttons. From elaborate to simple, broche like to teddy bear-esque the variety was so alluring. Of course, I would scoop and cherry pick my favorites–not always to my mom’s liking. But, my favorites always ended up on one of her magical country creations: bears, dolls, snowmen. So, when I saw all these fabulous button crafts in everything from print magazines to pins, I couldn’t help but round up my favorites–just like my craft store days!
1. Button Flower Tutorial by DIY Lomography: A little floral wire goes a long way. Can’t wait to make one of these as a spring centerpiece!
2. DIY Vintage Buttons Necklace by Born in ’82: Here’s what you will need for this craft: glue gun, needle and thread, felt, buttons and one necklace chain. Always test out your composition before you glue! This statement necklace is on trend with all the bauble necklaces right now!
3. Element Monogram by American Crafts: This would be adorable for a baby’s room! Super easy and turns out great because you print the letter out with your favorite font first! Just fill in the letter with the buttons.
4. Button Clips by Bella Dia: As easy a craft as it looks. Simply grab your treasured buttons and glue them on the end of paperclip. Just be careful to look before you glue or else you will make the paper clip useless.
5. Button Hair Pins by Craft and Creativity: Take the craft above and apply the exact same process to your bobby pins. Such a sweet little girl hair accessory.
6. Woven Button Coaster by Crafting a Green World: Perfect for summertime and poolside/patio drinks!
7. Button Magnets by Squish Blog: Another simple one! Buy some magnetic strips, use an Xacto knife and cut the magnet strip down to size. Using a very strong glue, preferably super glue, glue your button to the strip. Build on this base and stack buttons to make tile like patterns!
8. DIY Button Statement Rings by Glitter & Glue: Make sure you have these items before you start this craft: clippers, glue, rings with flat tops (available at the jewelry supply store). The last one may take a little bit of searching!
9. Button Art on a Budget by ModPodge Rocks: So, it may be as the author says a little “kitschy.” But, this is an inexpensive way to bring a pop of color into your room.
10. Button Candle Holder by Stephanie Lynn: This is a chic way to create a whimsical candle holder. The all white color palate against the wooden decor feels very beachy to me–can’t wait for summer vacation now!