All things in moderation, so the saying goes. With some food, though, the old adage doesn’t ring true. The following foods are so damaging to our health that complete avoidance would be a much better idea!
1. Margarine: Once thought to be healthier than butter, margarine actually is full of trans fat, coating your arteries and upping your cholesterol. You’re far better off sticking with real butter in moderation.
2. Hot dogs and other processed sandwich meats: These lower quality cuts of meat are full of nitrites, chemical flavorings, dyes, and way too much sodium. Look for nitrite-free sausages and make your own sandwich meat by cooking some chicken or turkey and slicing thinly. Read what the World Health Organization says about processed meats and their link to cancer.
3. Processed “cheese product”: You have seen it in slices wrapped in plastic or sprayable in cans; this fake food is not even allowed to be labeled as cheese. If you’re craving nachos, you can create your own cheese sauce using real cheese, but stay far away from what we like to call “plastic cheese.”
>> Recipe: Easy Peasy Cheese Sauce
4. Sugary sodas: Why drink empty calories? Sugary sodas provide a lot of high fructose corn syrup with no nutritional value. Try a fruit-infused water to add a splash of fresh flavor you can feel good about.
5. French fries: When McDonald’s released the ingredients in their French fries, people were surprised to find out there were 17 on the list. Instead try our crunchy and delicious Green Bean Fries!