Juice cleanses are all the rage right now and for good reason! Due to an often toxic environment and less than healthy diet, juice cleansing is necessary from time to time to help increase energy, gain mental clarity and lose weight. Many people are turning to this healthy trend because it’s a quick and simple way to detox while improving your overall health and well-being.
To eliminate common challenges of juice cleansing and maintain its positive results, it is important to prepare for and finish your cleanse properly. Jake Mabanta and Carissa-Ann Santos, the founders of the popular New York City-based juice cleanse company Love Grace, have you covered with five tips for before, during and after your juice cleanse for a healthier and more vibrant new you.
1. Prepare Your Body for Your Juice Cleanse: A few days before your cleanse, begin to lessen your caffeine intake to eliminate headaches during your cleanse. Caffeine can cause inflammation in the body and lead to adrenal fatigue. Instead, choose green tea, so when you start your cleanse you won’t need any caffeine at all! Also minimize processed foods such as meat, dairy and bread. Instead, stick to fresh fruit and veggies – something without a suspiciously long lifespan. The day before your cleanse, refrain from eating anything after sundown when digestion slows down. Instead, have a juice or some herbal tea if necessary. This will allow you to wake up feeling energized without any food cravings.
2. Stick to Calm Activities and Meditation Throughout Your Cleanse: Cleansing is mainly a time for healing, so try not to push yourself beyond your limits. Moving and manipulating the body with gentle activities such as yoga is highly effective during cleansing because you are stimulating internal organs while activating the parasympathetic nervous system. This portion of the nervous system is responsible for relaxation, healing, rejuvenation and many other beneficial things. If you opt for hot yoga, the high temperature can help to kill off and eliminate bacteria, virus, and cancer cells. For thousands of years, sweating has been used across the globe to revitalize and heal the body. Also have some guided meditation CDs on hand, as these will come in handy during those moments of wanting to give in!
3. Keep a Journal of Your Cleansing Experience: Not only will cleansers lose some extra pounds and gain energy, but it’s also very common to experience higher levels of inspiration which may help take your mental productivity to the next level. We believe this is because of a tremendous amount of free energy gained from drenching the cells in vital nutrition and abstaining from digesting solid foods. Write down what you notice during the day, new things you value (other than the missing ice cream) or maybe a few lines of poetry. It will also allow one to capture certain insights and inspirations from a cleanse that can be kept and referred to afterwards to help maintain the positive results. Is this not the goal of juice cleansing after all?
4. Don’t Fall Off the Deep End the Day After Your First Day: The day after your cleanse, the biggest no-no is immediately jumping back to heavy processed foods. We recommend beginning the day after your cleanse with juice or water and some fruit. Then for lunch, you can have a salad with veggies with raw nuts or fruit, and by dinner steamed veggies, cooked grains, and more veggies is recommended. Keeping fresh raw juice in the diet is also highly recommended during the days after cleansing to keep your results going strong. Love Grace’s Wellness Programs offer daily juices to help people start the day on a positive note with live vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients. When people are nutritionally fulfilled, we find they have less cravings and perform better overall throughout the day.
5. Maintain Healthy Eating Habits: Since the idea of cleansing is to elevate one’s health, it’s best to maintain a healthy diet and avoid swinging from unhealthy foods to cleansing back to unhealthy foods. We usually recommend a 90/10 approach; 90 percent of the time to treat yourself to the best foods you can find: raw, organic, plant based, and natural. 10 percent of the time you can have whatever you want: ice cream, gluten-free muffins, and pizza. We emphasize the enjoyment of food choices, and never making yourself feel guilty for a less than optimal meal.
Finally, the most important part is to congratulate yourself! What a huge achievement and truly special way to honor yourself, allowing yourself to become a healthier, stronger more vibrant version of you!
For more information about Love Grace, check out their site here. To purchase Love Grace’s juice cleanses or wellness programs, click here. Follow Love Grace on Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates.