I love the feeling of sore muscles the day after a really great workout! It tells me that my muscles are busy repairing and growing stronger. The negative part of it all is that sometimes this soreness is more than a pain in the butt! When it hurts your legs to walk up and down steps, or when it kills your arms to lift your little monkey, good workout or not, it is annoying. Here are five good ways to fend off soreness brought to you by livestrong.com.
- Always warm up before you dig in to your workout. This increases the flexibility of your muscles.
- Always cool down post-workout, and stretch the muscles you worked. Take your time and breathe through each stretch, thinking about each muscle and how good the stretch feels after your hard workout.
- Use a foam roller after your workout to release the knots in your muscles. Here is a good foam roller stretching routine from fitsugar.com.
- Get massage therapy to improve blood flow in those muscles. Don’t feel you need to go out and hire a real masseuse (unless you really want to)…a sweet and willing hubby does a much better job anyway. 🙂
- Get at least 8 to 10 hours of sleep. Sleeping triggers hormones that help to repair your muscle tissue. Realistically for most of us, 8 to 10 hours per night is an exquisite fantasy. Any sleep is good sleep, so do try to rest your body!
Photo Credit: http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/too-sore-exercise-active-recovery-workout?page=5