marriedcouple

Many women spend lots of time planning their weddings and forget to prepare for the marriage that comes afterward. With the divorce rate consistently hovering around 50% we wondered what it is that couples who are married for the longterm say are the hallmarks of their union. From Dr. Phil to the self-help section at your bookstore, here are 6 ways that we found to keep your bond strong.

  1. Maintain respect above all. This means no name calling or “below the belt” tactics during arguments. 
  2. Pillow talk. In the evening before bed, take a few minutes to talk to each other. It doesn’t have to be big stuff. Just talk.
  3. Focus on the good. Couples who stay together over the long haul make sure to tell each other all the ways their partner is fantastic.
  4. Know that the grass isn’t greener. Grass is grass and we bring our half of problems wherever we go, so….”love the one you’re with!”
  5. Give each other privacy. Either through separate bathrooms or separate activities, having some space is important.
  6. There’s no such thing as a soul mate. We mate our souls together and happily married couples know that if they agree on 80% then the other 20% will work itself out.