When two people in a relationship have entirely different views on fitness, it can cause stress in the relationship. One may complain that the other spends too much time at the gym, while the other might resent that they are working out all the time to look good for their partner and their partner doesn’t care to do the same. They may also eat different foods, making mealtimes feel disconnected, when they should be cooking together and conversing over the same dish.
How can a couple incorporate health and fitness into their relationship? Here are some ideas for making fitness together feel fun and maybe even a little romantic.
1. Walk or a run together. Use this time to catch up on each others’ day…maybe even initiate a little friendly racing competition.
2. Workout at the gym together. Run side by side on the treadmill or elliptical.
3. Take a class together. Introduce your partner to spin or maybe even yoga. Or try something new to both of you!
4. Cook together. Plan a healthy dinner menu for the week and cook together every evening.
5. Join a league. Check locally for co-ed leagues such as dodge ball, kickball, softball, ultimate frisbee, etc. Being part of a team will help you make friends as a couple and you’ll also be spending a lot of time together thanks to practices and games.
6. Sign up for a race. 5Ks and 10Ks are usually fun events, and they are much better when you have someone to do them with.
Photo Credit: http://www.heartloveweddings.com/2011/11/desserts-wine-working-out-engagement-session-from-jared-rey-photography/lb-es-jared-rey-photography19/