Dieting… I start a diet with the best of intentions. I plan my meals, I get rid of the junk food so it doesn’t tempt me and I try new foods. It all goes well until it doesn’t. It is so easy to get off track, to slip back into old habits or sneak in a few of those favorite treats. So what is a girl to do?? Well, I have found a few foods that help me to stay on track and satisfy my cravings for my favorite foods, and they may help you as well!
1. Raw Almonds: A handful of these are a great snack and I sometimes throw in a tablespoon of dark chocolate chips to sweeten them up!
2. Fruit: Throw it in a smoothie or make a fruit cup, either way it’s a great, guilt-free snack! Especially during the summer, there are so many great fruits in season! Skinny Mom has some great recipes for fruit smoothies and juices. Check out the smoothies here and the juice recipes here!
3. Yogurt: Yogurt is such an easy and healthy snack! The best part about it is it’s versatility. Mix it with fruit and granola for a parfait, cover some berries with yogurt and freeze them, add some whole natural almonds, or just eat it plain. You can’t go wrong with yogurt!
4. Popcorn: A light and tasty snack to satisfy your crunchy and savory craving. If you need a little flavor, we have some tasty and healthy topping ideas. Check out 6 Healthy Popcorn Toppings For Your Movie Munchies!
5. Greens: Put them in a smoothie or make a salad, either way, greens are healthy for you! And if you’re creative, there’s an endless amount of variety! If your greens are getting a little boring, read 6 Simple and Savory Must-Try Summer Salads. We also have some fab salads in our Skinny Soups & Salads Recipe Index!
6. Hummus: A great snack with whole grain crackers or cut up vegetables! I love to use a tablespoon or two on my protein as well, rather than dipping it in condiments that are high in calories, fat and sugar. If you like a little spice in your hummus, try Skinny Mom’s Buffalo Wing Hummus.
7. Vegetables: Easy to prep and have on hand for a grab and go snack! I make sure I have veggies available for all my meals. They are nutrient-dense, filling and so delicious! Eaten raw, sauteed, grilled or steamed, there’s always a new way to mix up your vegetables.
8. Protein bars: There are so many great recipes for homemade protein bars, and they won’t make your diet suffer either! I like the homemade route because I know exactly what ingredients are in my bars. Try this recipe for Homemade Lara Bars.
9. Turkey: I have recently started to replace ground beef with ground turkey in recipes. A healthier dinner option and my family doesn’t know the difference! Some of my favorite ground turkey recipes are: Lean Turkey & Spinach Lasagna, Skinny Turkey Meatloaf, Skinny Turkey Burger Casserole, and Philly Cheese Turkey Sloppy Joes!
10. Fish: I have also been working to trying one new seafood dish a week. My family loves seafood so this is great. There are so many different dishes to try when it comes to seafood, so take the opportunity of summer to explore your seafood pallet! I’m excited to try Skinny Mom’s new Sweet Chili Salmon recipe this week! For other healthy and easy fish/seafood recipes, click here.
The most important thing is to make your diet work for you. Pinpoint the times that you lose your focus and plan strategies to make it through those times! At the end of the day, no one can truly keep you in line except you!